We love to ski, we don’t love the price tag that comes with it. This DIY ski storage rack are easy and cheap, which I love!
I’m a garage person. When I was a kid our garage was packed with everything except cars. For years after I left home I didn’t have the luxury of a garage so now I’m a little loco about storing a bazillion things AND parking in the garage too. With skiing being my sanity this winter we really needed a ski organization system, but the ones you buy are too rich for my blood. (And yes, if you look closely you will see that we spent close to nothing on our kiddo’s skiis– they are learning and 20-year old hand-me-downs are working fine!)
This project cost $7 for the board and the dowel, we had the screws and other items on hand. Project time was about one hour, cross my heart.
- 1×4 board (we used a 8′ board)
- 3″ wood screws
- 3/4″ drill bit
- 3/4″ dowel (each piece will be 6″ buy linear feet accordingly)
- wood glue, if desired
- stud finder
- Mark a line down the center of your 1×4 board, horizontally
- Cut dowel into 6 ” pieces (2 for each set of skis you need to hang)
- Count how many skis you need to hang to figure out spacing and cut down your board if desired. Our skis hang about one foot apart.
- Use a 3/4″ drill bit drill a hole on each marking (2 holes 1″ apart and each pair of holes 4″ apart). Prop your wood off the floor so you can make a clean hole.
- Insert each dowel piece into each hole. You can use wood glue on this part, but the dowel fit so snuggly into the holes it wasn’t necessary.
- Hang your board high enough on the wall for the skis to have room to hang. With 3″ wood nails make sure to drill into studs. Our not-so-fancy walls make it easy to find the studs, but you may need to use a stud finder.
- Hang up those skis! Out of the corner and onto the wall!
Now, you can get to the mountain even quicker and happily exhaust your children in all the beautiful powder, which is what it’s all about.
after a long day skiing with cousins