I’m kinda lovin’ stripes. Baby girl nursery needed a little somethin somethin on the walls, and stripes… well, they sing to me.
Are you with me that stripes with fuzzy lines are so not fun? I have tried tons of tape that promises not to leak paint, to alas be left with wavy paint, not straight. Although it requires an extra step, here’s how you get straight, clean (oh so clean) stripes on your wall:
- painters tape
- paintable caulk (I used white, clear would be awesome)
Before beginning prepare your area. Clean it, lay down a drop cloth and make sure you have the colors you want. My beige walls next to pink walls ended up looking green… you know the whole color wheel thingy. I’m not diggin the greenish, pink stripe, but it looks cool in person (cross my heart).
1. With your level tape off the area you want to paint. The painters tape will go above the area you will paint. Also tape off vertically if you’re doing an accent wall like I was:
2. Go along the tape (the side of the tape you will be painting on) with paintable caulk. First add a bead of caulk, then rub it in with your finger. Last, wipe off the excess with a damp, lint free cloth.
3. Allow the caulk to dry according to instructions on the tube before painting.
4. Paint your area. The caulk will seal the tape for a perfect line.
5. After the paint is dry, pull off the tape for a perfect finish.
Love the stripe. Don the stripe… I don’t do a lot of things perfectly, but these lines are seriously so crisp they are edible .
Now, go and paint some stripes! Happy Creating!
P.S. One of my uber talented friends made the “it’s a girl” banner, and isn’t it so cute!? Wish I could take credit for that one… if you want one email me and I’ll send her info your way!